Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sunday Morning





What does Sunday Morning mean to you? Every week I have these ideals, a picture painted of the happy family going to church, Norman Rockwell, The Donna Reed Show. Something about the routine, the ritual, the comfort in knowing that on Sunday morning we get up and go to church. Maybe mother will make pancakes while the children play, maybe father will read the paper....
This rarely happens, but it is always in my heart. Even if I wake up late or get frustrated with outfits, this feeling still lingers. This morning was no exception, the little boy woke us up early, yelling "NO!" from his bed. It's his new favourite word. I reluctantly peel the covers back and begin the morning routine. As I pour my coffee I long for something more. Something more that just isn't routine. A place of in my heart that has a deep longing for renewal, like the fresh rain, washing the sins of the week away. Not that I have to go to church to get "washed clean" sometimes like this morning, I don't make it at all. Instead of feeling bad that my morning didn't go as planned I still reached for something. A deep yearning in my heart to connect to something more than myself, something bigger than this life. I reached out to Jesus. Only He could mend the broken imaginings of my Sunday morning. Only He could allow me to rest in His peace. (literally i had to take a nap) He does in deed make all things new! This is what Sunday morning means to me today.
Even though I didn't have the perfect outfit, or get to go to church, I did get to make the pancakes. I've been experiencing with sneaking in some healthy purees into my foods. Little boy went through a phase recently of not eating, so I've investigated some new ways to get the fruits and veggies down. I was inspired this morning to make these yummy healthy pancakes & icing! No sugar, no eggs, no oil, very little flour.

1/2 c oat flour (basic oatmeal thrown in my food processor)
1 1/4 c pancake mix
1/2 c homemade fruit sauce (apples, honeydew melon, strawberries, peaches all blended)
1/2 c whole yogurt
enough milk to mix up a nice smooth batter
Cook as normal pancakes.

Cream Cheese Icing

8oz softened cream cheese
3 or 4 T honey
1/4 c fruity sauce

Combine & drizzle over pancakes, serve with fresh fruit
(can't get just the right drizzle with a knife? pour icing into a Ziploc bag & snip on corner at the bottom and use it as a pastry bag... voila!)







2 comments:

  1. yay! we make oatmeal pancakes too! and just this past week we tried some bananas in them, so we've got the fruit and yogurt in common too. We also put eggs in the mixture for protein...makes them taste a little more on the french toast range of the pancake/french toast spectrum.. that sauce looks pretty dang tempting too! So glad you felt renewed last Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i don't know how you come up with this stuff. you and ginny are such writers. i typically stare at my screen thinking of what is in my mind and how im going to edit. then end up with 2 sentences. so what inspires your posts? the idea, the photos or are you just approaching blogging like you do your friends. im so overly analytical. you are so free! love you!
    i like your style!
    ps. how'd they taste?

    ReplyDelete